Sigacik is a pretty fisherman village located at 5 kms west of Seferihisar Besides it’s historical and natural beauties, it is serving as a natural harbor. Hosting to Teos which is one of the 12 Ion colonies, it is named as Sigacik during Ottoman Empire period.
Sigacik Castle dates far back to Seljukians, 11th Century AD. After suffering damage from earthquakes, the castle was restored by Ottomans. As per the strategic value, today’s castle was constructed during the period of Suleyman the Magnificent in 1521-1522
Teos, now located a kilometer south of Sigacik was established around 1000 BC as an Ion city. Its founder is known to be Dionysos’ son Athames. Teos later was ruled by Persians, Lydians and later again by Persians. With the Ions, Teos gained its freedom and became an important center in architecture and trade. Being an Ion capital for a period, Teos was a rival of Ephesus. The city host Hellenistic and Roman ruins. The most important edifice in Teos is the biggest Dionysos temple of the ancient world. The city hosts an amphitheatre, Agora, Odeon, city walls and harbor ruins as well.